Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pound Sand

Time for a rant.

Dick Pound, WADA and the UCI Anti-Doping Gestapo need to go. I definitely feel there is a place for anti-doping measures in all of sports, but when you get it wrong, you're ruining lives, not just careers. And these guys just can't keep from stepping on their own D's.

It's bad enough the 5 riders from Liberty Seguros were recently vindicated of the charges, and I reference them as such since they would still be Liberty Seguros had the UCI and WADA not handed down a guilty verdicts based on inconclusive, circumstantial evidence (at the time) forcing Liberty to pull their sponsorship, but would have ridden the Tour in support of a potential podium finisher in Vino.

But now they want to defame a Mennoite farm boy from rural Lancaster, PA who has been kicking ass on two wheels longer than Pound has been able to spell WADA. I whole heartedly believe in doping controls in all sport, yes that means our beloved baseball and football, but I also believe the testing in cycling is so tightly scrutinized (thanks Festina) that it is extremely biased towards first proving the guilt of a rider and not the innocence.

I don't know where I'm going with all of this other than I have to believe in Landis, if no one else that has been accused of doping in the last few years, yes even Lance included, I have to believe in Landis. I'm not an overly religeous person either, but I have to believe that even as a former Mennonite, he would could not risk bringing that shame to his family and the Mennonite community.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

HEFOLY said...

I'm so deflated. Landis??

Chris H said...

I'm right there with ya.