Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Disturbing

It used to be I didn't care about some of the really f'ed up shit that happens in this world, I was accepting of the fact that there are crazy people willing to do crazy things for who knows what reasons and there was not much I could do about it anyway.

I don't know if it's the fact that Maddy has come into our lives or that this just hits too close to home but is really pisses me off. I grew up in Middletown, went to middle and high schools there and stuff like this just didn't happen nor would anyone ever think it could. She graduated the year after me, I didn't know her, just of her but enough to know she was well liked and never did anything to deserve something like this, no one does for that matter. On top of that, who can justify killing innocent kids? Regardless of how f'ed up your life or marriage is, there's just no reason for it.

What is really getting to me more than the act itself is the media surrounding it. I'm ok with free speech and even freedom of the press, but at some point someone has to make a consciencious decission about the amount of detail the public really needs to know about what "really" happened, such as the details of the actual deeds. What's the point in it? A horrible act was committed and we should grieve with the families of the victims in knowing that something terrible and tragic has happened but to feel the need to put this amount of detail out is unecessary and almost as disturbing as the act itself.

No comments: